Skip to main content


Please review our answers to frequently asked residential life questions. If your question is not answered, please contact our office.

How safe is campus?

It is important for residents to take responsibility for their own security by keeping their room door locked, never loaning out their keys or giving out their pin, using the community escort service, not walking alone on campus, & keeping roommates informed of where they are. 

UC San Diego has a California sworn police department that is very sensitive to student needs. Each college has 2 University Safety Officials (USOs), who are in contact by radio with campus police & work from 9 pm to 6 am doing rounds around the residential area. 

What are bed assignments?

Your bed assignment will usually be in this format:

[Building] - [House][Room #][Bedspace].

For example, TE-B11a means Tenaya Hall, B House, Room 11, Bed a.

In doubles, bedspace a is the left bed and bedspace b is the right bed.

In triples, bedspace a is bottom bunk, bedspace b is the top bunk above a, and bedspace c is the independent top bunk.

What are Dining Dollars/Triton Cash?

Dining Dollars:

  • Meal plan that is joint with housing contract (package plan, can’t have one without the other)

  • No refunds if you do not use all of your Dining dollars at the end of the academic year but dining dollars roll over every quarter.

  • Can only be used in HDH dining facilities/markets

Triton Cash:

  • Prepaid spending account that is linked to campus ID

  • Use in many places like the bookstore, anywhere Dining Dollars is accepted, paying for rec classes, campus coffee shops

  • Some dining dollar packages come with a Triton Cash bonus (For example, the $3749 package comes with a $50 Triton Cash bonus)

  • Balance does not expire; rolls over into next academic year

What is the social life like at Muir College?

There are tons of things to do and participate in, both campus-wide and at Muir College. Muir College has over 15 student orgs you can join including Gourmet Muir, Muir College Council, Muir Residents’ Council, FOOSH (comedy Improv), Tribe of Muir Transfers, Muir Environmental Corps, Muir Organizing Board, etc. HAs and residents also plan house events, programs & activities.

What is the likelihood of me getting a single?

Singles are the most popular room type requested by residents, but they are also the most limited. By requesting a single on your room preferences, you will be assigned a single if they are available, but they are not guaranteed to every resident that requests them.

If a single room is part of your OSD accommodation, please reach out to HDH with your accommodation letter.

General Residence Questions

What do I do if I get locked out?

  • On weekdays from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., go to the Muir Residential Life office for all lockouts at no charge.
  • On weekdays from 4:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. and weekends between 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m., call the House Advisor on duty at 858-534-DUTY (3889) for no charge. [During the academic year ONLY]
  • Any weekend from 11:00 p.m. - 9:00 a.m., any weekday from 11:00 p.m. - 8:00 a.m., or university-observed holidays, call HDH Fix-It at 858-534-2600. There will be a $25 charge during these operating hours.

What if I lose my room key?

Go to the Muir Residential Life Office and request a new room key. A $10 replacement key fee will be charged to your student account.

How do I pick up or request a student ID card?

  • The Campus Card Office is available through appointment only. For more information go to
  • You must return to the Residential Life office with your new ID in order for your ID to unlock your room door.
  • Any temporary keycards you had during this process must be returned to the office.

Help! My ____ is broken

For general maintenance requests, please submit an online HDH Fix It Request and maintenance staff will be in contact with you.

If you experience any emergencies (broken door locks, overflowing sink/toilet, flooding, etc.), please call the HDH Emergency Maintenance line at (858) 534-2600.