Academics at Muir
Your academic success is important to us at Muir. As a Muir student, you can pursue any major, and the flexibility of our General Education requirements allow many of our students to complete a minor within four years.
John Muir College Academic advising is committed to guiding students from orientation through graduation by empowering them to be active participants in their education. In collaboration with university staff and faculty, we connect students with campus resources and assist them in interpreting University policy. Muir College Academic Advisors:
- Help you make informed decisions about your academics.
- Provide accurate information on policies, deadlines, and options.
- Help you customize your academic plan and interpret your degree audit.
- Refer you to specialized resources on campus to help with your goals and plans.
UC San Diego has a de-centralized model of academic advising. Instead of a single office responsible for all advising, you will have multiple advisors with specialized roles. In addition to your Muir College Advisor, you will have other advising options:
- Major Department Advisor will help you understand when courses are offered for your major, prerequisites for major classes, and identifying courses to fulfill your interests or goals for your major.
- You may meet with advisors in the International Center to discuss your plans for study abroad; in the Career Service Center to help you prepare for the job market or graduate school.
- Some students identify a faculty advisor or mentor. Though some majors or programs may have a formal faculty advisor, faculty mentoring is usually informal, and you will need to take the initiative to meet faculty whom you admire or would like to be your mentor.
Location & Hours
2126 Humanities and
Social Science Building
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 12 Noon
1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Office Closed: Thursday, June 18th, 2015 - Friday, June 26th, 2015
P: (858) 534-3580
F: (858) 534-8183