Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a burning question, but the advising office is closed, you don't want to leave a question on the Virtual Advising Center, and you are pretty sure it's a simple question? This page is for you. We have a lot of links to answers here to common questions, issues, or problems. Just take a minute and look for an answer.

Instructional Videos

Enrolling in and Dropping Classes

Majors, Minors, and Academic Planning

Policies and Procedures

Muir Special Project Major

  • Muir Special Projects will allow you to complete a Bachelor of Arts in an individualized major.
  • To qualify, you must have at least a 3.25 GPA and a faculty sponsor for your major.
  • Your MSP major must include a final thesis or creative work as the final requirement of your major.
  • The MSP major cannot be used to take a customized version of an existing major or to duplicate a capped major to which you have not been admitted.
  • MSP information and application.
  • MSP contract for students taking MSP 199 as part of the major.

Inter-College Transfer to Muir from Another UCSD College

  • In order to transfer to Muir from another UCSD college, you must show that you will graduate at least two quarters faster in similar course loads by transferring to UCSD. We are typically looking for a difference of at least 5 classes and two quarters of enrollment between what you would need to do at your original college and what you would need to do at Muir.
  • You must have completed equivalents to MCWP 40 and MCWP 50 before we will approve a change to Muir.
  • You must be in good academic standing to transfer to Muir.
  • You would not meet with a Muir academic advisor to plan your inter-college transfer. You must meet with an advisor at your current college to plan and submit your form.

How to Succeed at UCSD

Petitions & Forms

*Requires additional documentation.  

Summer School

  • Summer session at UCSD
  • Summer session at a community college
    • Community college courses do not count toward your UC GPA
    • Only UC-transferable courses can fulfill UCSD requirements
    • You can look up course equivalents and UC transferable courses on
  • Summer session at another UC Campus
    • Courses at other UCs will give you units and count toward your GPA
    • Most courses taken at another UC will not automatically fulfill major or GE requirements; you will need to submit an undergraduate petition to use a course for your major or a GE petition to have a course count for your Muir GEs
  • Once you finish your GEs, you must submit your transcripts to UCSD Admissions to have them added to your UCSD records
  • See our video on summer session