Continuing Student Room Selection
If you are eligible for housing on-campus next year, you will receive an email in the middle of Winter Quarter. Remember -- your housing guarantee entitles you to a housing space somewhere on campus, and not necessarily at Muir College. Unfortunately, depending on your Room Selection lottery time, the location and type of space you most desire may not be available.
What is the basic room selection process?
Room Selection is the process that current first year and other guaranteed residents go through in Spring Quarter to select their on campus housing assignment for the next academic year.
This is general information for students going through the Room Selection process during Spring Quarter. Details about all of Room Selection will be forthcoming - you will receive most information about Room Selection as an email to your UCSD email address.
There are three steps to Room Selection.
- Apply online according to the dates specified to do this.
- Sign your contract online and pay your $650 pre-payment by the deadline date.
- Select your room online on Room Selection Day.
- You must be guaranteed on-campus housing to participate in Room Selection. You are guaranteed, if you came to UCSD as a first year student who lived on campus in the fall and continued your residency through your first or subsequent year; you may also be guaranteed housing through your particular scholarship, or if you are registered through the Office of Students with Disabilities and they determine you require on-campus housing.
- You must contact the Residential Life liaison at 858.822.1782 and register with The Office of Students with Disabilities by calling 858.534.4382 to determine your eligibility for housing.
- All information regarding Room Selection will be mailed to your UCSD e-mail address. Please be sure you check that particular e-mail address regularly and that your e-mail mailbox can accept these messages which will be on going through the process.
- Deadlines are extremely important and missing any deadline will most likely eliminate your housing guarantee and continuation in the Room Selection process.
- It is your responsibility to take care of your own Room Selection process - meaning, do not delegate that responsibility to your significant other, your parents, a sibling, or your pet! If someone forgets a deadline you need to meet, you will most likely be eliminated from the Room Selection process and will probably be living off campus next year!
- Housing for Muir students going through Room Selection will be offered at Muir College in Tenaya and Tioga Halls and in the Muir Tuolumne and Tamarack Apartments. Since the priority is to keep all of our first-year students at Muir, overflow housing for continuing students is usually in the Warren College Apartments.
- If the All Campus Housing Program is offered, students registered at different colleges may live together as apartment mates on campus next year.
- If you have a question about any of this preliminary Room Selection information, please contact the Muir Residential Life Office at 858.534.4200.
Room Selection FAQ
Q. I have a special circumstance. Do I get a better lottery time?
A. All students have the same chance in room selection. We do not give priority to any group of students, including athletes, scholars, or people who are currently living in triples or at another college residential facility. However, if you have a special housing need, you may apply for OSD status. Please contact the Office for Students with Disabilities at 858.534.4382 or email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. They will evaluate your individual housing needs and ensure they are met.
Q. I want to live with a friend from another college, can I do that?
A. General the All Campus Housing Program is offered each year. To apply, you will select all-campus during the application process (steps 1 and 2 above). This program allows students from different colleges to live together in an apartment at the designated college hosting this program for that year.
Q. I want to live in a gender inclusive apartment, can I do that?
A. Absolutely. Applications for gender inclusive apartments will be available at the Muir Residential Life Office or you may download an application in spring quarter. Please note that you must also apply online (as detailed in steps 1 and 2 above) for Room Selection.