Exchange Programs

In addition to opportunities to study outside of the country, students may pursue opportunities to study on exchange with other campuses.

The Dartmouth Exchange Program

The Dartmouth College - Muir College Exchange Program was conceived by Muir's first Provost John Stewart and former Dartmouth Provost Leonard Rieser as a way to enrich the education of students from both colleges. The first exchange of students took place during the fall quarter, 1970, when Dartmouth was still an all-male institution (it became coeducational in 1972). With as many as 10 students from each school swapping places each quarter, the program continues to provide two challenging academic environments distinguished by markedly different climates. For more information on the program see our Dartmouth Exchange Program page.

The Morehouse/Spelman Exchange Program

The UCSD/Morehouse/Spelman Student Exchange Program was officially launched in the fall quarter of 1989. This formal exchange program was developed by Thurgood Marshall College and is open to all UC San Diego undergraduates. Morehouse and Spelman Colleges are located in Atlanta, Georgia. The purpose of the program is to provide a unique opportunity for students to live and study at important institutions of higher learning that are significantly different from their own social and educational environment. Completion of 60 semester or 90 quarter units with a 2.7 or higher grade point average by the end of Spring quarter is required. For more information and a link to the application:

The UC/DC Program

Since 1997, the UC San Diego Washington Center has provided students an opportunity to intern in the nation’s capital while continuing their academic coursework. The program is open to all students who have completed ninety units toward graduation with a 2.5 grade-point average. Students earn fourteen units of academic credit, continue to be registered full time, and fulfill university residency requirements. For more information please see

Taking Courses at Another UC or CSU campus

The Office of the Registrar offers three ways to take courses at another campus of the UC or CSU system while still a UC student.

  • If you want to enroll in a course at a different UC campus while still enrolled UCSD courses (for example, taking two courses at UCSD and one at UCI), you may apply for the Simultaneous Enrollment Program.
  • If you want to enroll in a course at a CSU campus while still enrolled UCSD courses (for example, taking two courses at UCSD and one at SDSU), you may apply for the Cross Enrollment Program.
  • If you want to enroll as a visitor at a different UC Campus, you may apply for the Intercampus Visitor Program. For information, call (858) 534-3150.
  • You may also take courses at another campus through summer school at a UC or CSU, or in some cases, through special extension programs offered by the individual campus.

Useful Links