Transfer to Muir

If you think Muir is the right place for you, but you are currently a student at another college at UCSD or if you are looking to transfer to Muir College and want Muir to be your home, you can apply to transfer to Muir College.

Transfer to Muir From Another UC San Diego College (Current UCSD Students)

To transfer to Muir from another UC San Diego college, you must:

  • Be able to graduate 2  full quarters faster at Muir than your original college.
  • Complete at least 2 quarters at your original college if you were admitted as a Freshman, or 1 quarter if admitted as a transfer student.
  • Clear the Entry-Level Writing Requirement and the college writing requirement at your original college.
  • Have a cumulative UC GPA of 2.5 or higher.
  • Have a term GPA of 2.0 or higher the quarter you apply.
  • Be enrolled as a UCSD student the term your transfer is effective.

We only accept applications twice a year:

  • By week 4 of Winter Quarter for transfer effective Spring Quarter.
  • By  week 4 of Spring Quarter for transfer effective Fall Quarter.
  • We do not accept requests in Summer or Fall.

To apply, you must:

  • Download and complete an Inter-College Transfer Request:
    • Include your reason for transfer, as noted on the front of the application form.
    • Complete a quarter-by-quarter plan for each college, showing the difference in time to degree. Remember that Muir requires additional upper-division units for graduation – 72 units instead of 60—that must be part of your plan.
    • Go to and print out copies of your Academic History and Degree Audit.
  • Take your completed paperwork and meet with an advisor at your current college before the deadline. You will not meet with a Muir advisor.
  • Once your form is signed by your college advisor, bring the paperwork to the Muir Advising Office at HSS 2126.
  • Your application will be evaluated based on (1) the reason for the request; (2) number of quarter(s) remaining for graduation; (3) availability of space in the proposed new college; and (4) evidence that you can graduate two or more quarters sooner by transferring colleges.

Transfer to Muir From Another College or University (Prospective UCSD Students)

All transfer admissions decisions are made by the UC San Diego Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools. You must follow their guidelines for transfer admissions, and they will assign you to a college based on how you rank the six colleges on your application and how many spaces are available for transfer students in each college when you apply. If you are a prospective transfer student with questions about admission, please contact UCSD Admissions.

Useful Links


Current Students:
Please send us your academic questions via the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).

General Inquiries: