Muir College’s flexible General Education (GE) requirements and friendly, supportive community make Muir a popular choice for students in all majors and from diverse backgrounds. When graduating seniors are asked if they would choose Muir again, they overwhelmingly answer Yes.
• Muir’s General Education requirements are the most flexible of all the colleges at UC San Diego. Muir allows students the freedom to choose the courses best suited to their own interests and goals within a framework that provides both breadth and depth of knowledge.
• Muir’s flexible GEs make it possible for students to double major, pursue one or more minors, and take advantage of programs such as education abroad while still graduating within four years.
• Muir is centrally located on the UC San Diego campus, making that long walk to a class across campus just a little bit shorter.
• The Muir staff, whether in Academic Advising, Student Affairs, Residential Life, or Muir Writing, is awesome. They're committed to getting to know you as an individual and to giving you whatever help and support you need.
• Muir is known for its friendly and inclusive community. The organization of Muir's freshman residence halls into houses and suites makes it easy to connect with people and make lifelong friends. (If you’re lucky, you'll get a room with an ocean view.) The quad around which the residence halls are clustered is the heart of the campus where everyone comes together.
• Muir students are involved. Muir has more student organizations than any of the other colleges.
• Muir students are successful. The average grade point average of students who graduate from Muir is among the highest at UC San Diego.
• Muir students go "green" – they’re leaders in promoting environmental responsibility across campus.
• Muir is the only college in the U.S. to have a surf shop named after it. (Muir Surf and Skate, now located in Pacific Beach)
• Last but not least, Muir is the closest college to the beach!
Read welcome letter from Dean of Student Affairs Patty Mahaffey and check out the profiles of some of Muir’s amazing students and alumni.